Brought to you by Quilters Newsletter magazine

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Indianapolis, Here I Come

I'm loving the fall colors in the Midwest! I took these shots while hiking along the DesPlaines River in northern Illinois. So peaceful! And so many image and color ideas for my next quilt....

The calm didn't last long. This morning, it was time to pack up and head for Indiana.


That meant driving through Chicago. Wow, what a skyline! I've never seen such tall, tall, TALL buildings. I'd have taken pictures for you but there was just too much traffic.













I decided to reward myself for navigating the city with a quilt-shop stop. I set the GPS for Cheryl's in West Lafayette, Indiana. Good choice. I arrived to find shop owner Cheryl Drake setting up a quilt on her longarm while her daughters Megan and Gabrielle took calls, helped shoppers, and cut my great fabric find. Check it out.


















I've been searching for bilaterally symmetrical prints to try out some of the great ideas in Paula Nadelstern's new book, Kaleidoscope Quilts: The Workbook. Our course, Paula's fabrics are great for this. I picked up one of her designs just a few days ago.

From top, Deja Vu by Paula Nadelstern for Benartex, and
Stack-N-Whack by Bethany Reynolds for Blank Quilting,

Cheryl's shop includes retreat rooms for five. Of course, there are quilts on every bed and the walls, too. I was ready to stay then remembered, I have an appointment with a quilter in Avon, Indiana--near Indianapolis--tomorrow. So on the road again...



I made a quick stop at an interstate rest area to enjoy the late afternoon sun, then headed on to my overnight stay. Tomorrow: Road trip to the home of the Indy 500. Rev your engines....

No comments:

Post a Comment